
Warning to the grandparents...you may not want to read this post about your precious baby granddaughter.
I decided to take the kids to Pre-school Story time at the library today. I called up my friend Julie yesterday and asked if she and her little ones wanted to join us, so plans were set. We arrived a little before it started and I let the kids look around for books and do puzzles and explore the children's area a little before we went to the story room. I had even practiced sitting in the floor on our bottoms with Sam before we left the house. I just knew she would obey...why I am not sure, but I had high hopes. I told them both that if they obeyed that we would come home and swim in the pool after lunch. Ethan even asked if Sam did not obey did that mean he would not get to play in the pool. I assured him, that if Sam disobeyed, he would not be punished for her actions--in different words that is, so he could understand. They were excited, and again, I just knew we would have a great time.
Well, that is NOT what happened. Now, I know that I have a 2 year old and she is going to act like a 2 year old, but does she have to be so loud while she is doing it? She was the only child that didn't want to sit down and when I tried to get her to, she yelled out. You have to remember we are in the Library and the lady is reading a story to other boys and girls who are sitting quietly. So, I took her out twice and well that just made her mad. So, she and I spent story time out of the room looking in on Ethan and the other kids.
Needless to say she lost her time in the pool. However, Ethan enjoyed story time AND he got to make a rocket AND he got some one-on-one quality time with Mommy in the pool. So, I guess it wasn't all that bad.
I do need to get control of my emotions though--she can really ruffle my feathers and she knows just what and when to do it. I remember ages 2 and 3 being hard for Ethan, but Sam is just a different cookie. She is so much more defiant and that is hard for me. I am not that way by nature. I follow the rules and I am a people pleaser. She, on the other hand could care less what you think about what she is doing.
I guess I am going to get out my copies of Strong-Willed Child, Creative Correction, Shepherding a Child's Heart, and all those other nice parenting books out and start reading them again...I am in for a long night...

3 comments:
I'm sure you must have picked up another little girl on the way to the library. I can't believe MY grandaughter would act in such a manner(yea right). Oh well, you know who she takes after, her Uncle Matt and look how well he turned out!!!
She is so cute!..even when she is mad.
Kim, I am so glad you started blogging. Every time I look at Ian's blog I check out the Blair Family and I love the updates. This picture of Sam so reminds me of David when he was little. I love and miss you guys. Debbie
Post a Comment