Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What a day!

Sam turned three today! I can't believe it. It seems like yesterday when she was born. My 9 pounds 1/2 ounce baby was such a sweet blessing. She has always been the cutest thing I've ever seen. Her personality has changed so much over the past 3 years. She is a handful, but I am so thankful for her.


We let her open her presents this morning.
Her response to her gifts:

From Ethan...Dora Memory game
"Ethan, this is not for you, it is for girls."


From Mommy and Daddy...Barbie phone and bicycle--which Ethan brought in the living room from our bedroom

"Hey where's my bicycle?" (She thought the purple and pink bike that Ethan was rolling out of the bedroom was his and she was wondering where hers was.) When told it was hers, she said, "Oh, thank you."


Now for the interesting part of the day...

While I was at the orthodontist this afternoon around 2pm, Sam and Ethan were playing with some kid golf clubs that our neighbors had given them.

Steve had placed them a part so they wouldn't hit each other. Well, as it always happens, when he turned his back for a second, she somehow made her way over near Ethan.
And you guessed it! He swung and accidentally hit her right in the mouth.

My wonderful husband had the frame of mind to get her cleaned up, call the pediatrician, who told him to call the dentist--which she had never been to--and then get them in the car. By the time I called him back he was on his way and was able to pick me up on the way to the dentist.


She was asleep in the car by this time and slept until we got there.


The dentist took a look and thought it was broken, so he sent us to the oral surgeon, who gave us a choice. We can have it removed or leave it in there and have it checked for infection every 3-4 months for 2 years.


Needless to say we have a big decision to make--and we have to decide by Friday. The oral surgeon wants to see her regardless on Friday.

We have called some friends and gotten some advice and we are leaning toward leaving it in for now. She has her checkup with her pediatrician on Monday and I would like to see what he says.

Ethan, on the other hand, has had a rough day too. Steve said he was crying because he was worried about his sister. This was totally an accident and I hate he had to be the one to do it.

His sweet heart is shining through again and it brings tears to my eyes as I type.

I am thankful that everyone is okay. Sam has a fat lip, bruised gums, and a crooked tooth, but is feeling fine. She got to have her birthday dinner at her restaurant of choice (Cracker Barrel.) And she got her birthday cupcake too.


Ethan was so tired he put himself to bed, but he is okay emotionally...I think!

Daddy is feeling guilty, but I am reassuring him I wouldn't have done anything different.

Mommy is just glad to be home and glad the day is over.

Here's our new mouth...not so bad!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

never a dull moment at the blairs! it'll make for a great story...
...years from now. :D
fortunately you can tell she's okay with it from the picture. hopefully ethan will wake up to a happier day tomorrow too. what a tender heart he has. :D

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

Oh...what a day. I am glad Sam felt up to eating at Cracker Barrel :) A birthday that will never be forgotten. What am I going to do with 2 boys? I am sure I will be having some interesting stories in years to come :)

Christina said...

Oh, that is a crazy day!! My niece Julia (Tara's daughter) managed to knock out both of her front teeth by the time she was 5 (2 separate incidents). She is just now getting the adult ones in, so she was 3 years without any front teeth. It kind of suited her, she looked really cute. I don't think they had a choice, they had to pull them. I will pray you will know what to do.

Nikki said...

My 4 year old knocked the exact same tooth out when she was 2 years old. I know how you feel. You don't want her to be without that cute little tooth.

Unfortunately, we were out of town when Gracie knocked hers out so there was no choice of keeping it. I guess I cried more than Gracie did. Her little teeth were so cute.