Thursday, October 2, 2008

Best Friends


"Mommy, you are my best friend!"
"And Daddy is my best friend too."

These are the precious words I hear from Sam everyday lately and it has "got me ta thinkin.'" (that's my country voice, by the way...)

You know, when you are little your parents are your best friends and then anyone around at the moment.

Then you hit Jr. High and you have a new BFF (Best Friend Forever) each week until you find one you really like and then you really are BFF's FOREVER--maybe a year!

Then there's High School and you kind of keep the same Best Friend throughout, (unless she dates your boyfriend and that ruins it for sure!)

You go off to college and sometimes you even room with your best friend--which is never a good idea! Anyway, you meet even more friends in college--those you consider great friends.

Then you get married and your best friend is your maid/matron of honor and all your great, almost best friends, are your bridesmaids.

Then you have friends that you either meet at church or work. Those people who you have a lot in common with. You like the same things. You go to the same places. You share a common bond. Those relationships you will never forget.

Then you have kids and your friends become those who have kids the same age as yours. And maybe still those friends from before.

Sometimes, you move away, or your friend moves away and you have to make new friends. But your "old" friends hang in there for support.

I guess I am just thinking of friends tonight. Those who have made an impact in my life. Those who have held me when times were tough. Those who have kept me accountable. Those whom I will NEVER forget.

Friends...

(by the way, I took the flower picture myself!)

No comments: