One of the things I am thankful for at my church is their commitment to teaching the Bible through expository teaching. It was one of the deciding factors for Steve and I as we searched for a church when we moved here. We have been at Fellowship Bible Church, Brentwood for almost 4 years now.
Right now we are in the book of Nehemiah and last week and again today we were in Chapter 8. This chapter in a nutshell is about the people's response to God's Word. The people gathered as one and stood for the reading of the Word. They answered with an "Amen, Amen" as they lifted their hands. They then bowed low and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground. Later, they wept at hearing the Word. I ask myself, is this how I respond to God's Word? Do I weep over it? Does it make me say, "Amen, Amen?" Do I bow low and worship the Lord when I read it? Does it make me raise my hands? Sometimes--yes. All the time--no. Why? Because I am too busy or some days I don't read it at all. I am challenged to read His Word daily and allow it to make an impact on my life.
Today as Lloyd taught us the passage, he highlighted the familiar verse, Neh 8:10 "...for the joy of the Lord is your strength." He showed us the Hebrew grammar for the noun--joy. It is possessive, so the passage means that the joy that the Lord possesses is my strength. I had never looked at it that way. I don't have to GET that kind of joy--it is the Lord's. I just need to rely on Him and learn more about that joy by reading His Word and THEN that is my strength. I needed to hear that today. This week has been a tough one. I have failed miserably at parenting this week. The Lord has shown me today that the answers are in His Book. His Word is what I need. He will be my strength when I feel as though I have none.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment